TRACK & FIELD
Class of 2017:
William Jones, Division I, University of Maryland, College Park. Read press release here.
Patrick Jones, Division III, Catholic University.
Maddie Foland, Division III, St. Vincent College.
Lily Foland, Division III, St. Vincent College.
Luke Daigneault, Division II, Hillsdale (MI) College
Boys All-County Track and Field, Read press release from Herald-Mail Media here.
William Jones Washington County Boys Track & Field Athlete of the Year!
Girls All-County Track and Field, Read press release from Herald-Mail Media here.
Arielle Jean-Jacques, Jr., St. Maria Goretti, Throws/sprints
Cassie Lavin, Sr., St. Maria Goretti, Distance
IPSL Championships, Read press release here.
William Jones set a school record in the 800 (1:58.30) and also won the 1,600 (4:58.35) and 3,200 (10:28.99) at Mercersburg Academy.
Jones also teamed with John Anderson, Tom Keenan and Matt Rohan to win the boys 4x800 relay in 8:46.10.
Cassie Lavin ran a PR in winning the 1,600 in 5:42.17.
Finished third out of five teams.
Wednesday, April 26, 2017 Boonsboro Track Meet
“Goretti’s Jones sets county record in 1,600” Herald Mail Media Read press release here.
William Jones ran the (9-meters short of one mile distance) in 4:14.4 to crush the previous record of 4:17.82 set by Williamsport start Evan Hardy in winning the Maryland State Championship in 2012. The record prior to Evan Hardy’s 4:17.82 run in 2012 was the 4:18.8 run by North Hagerstown’s Jeff Scuffins in 1980. Jones becomes the first Goretti Track & Field student/athlete to hold a county record. He also becomes the first Washington County high school runner to ever dip under the 4:17.0, 4:16.0 and 4:15.0 barriers.
Wednesday, April 19, 2017 Hagerstown City Track & Field Championships
Saturday, April 22, 2017 91st Jack Roddick Invitational at Shippensburg University Herald Mail Media Read press release here.
William Jones placed third in the boys 3A 3,200-meter run in a school-record time of 9:29.17. Jones, whose previous best was 9:32.58, became the seventh runner in Washington County history to break 9:30 for 3,200.
Saturday, April 8, 2017 Charas Heurich Invitational at Smithsburg. Herald Mail Media Read press release here.
In the 1,600, Jones went after the record of 4:17.82 held by Williamsport graduate Evan Hardy, but finished just short in 4:21.55 — winning by more than 18 seconds. Jones later came back to finish second in the 800 with a time of 2:02.52, breaking the previous school record held by his brother Patrick.
“The goal was the record,” Jones said. “I was gonna try to go about and run consistent 64-second laps. Given a little less wind it would have be more of a possibility, but I still gave it all I had and that’s all I can ask for.
“I’m still excited to at least PR, and hopefully before the end of the season I’ll give it another shot.”
Saturday, April 1, 2017 Dwight Scott Track & Field Invitational, Boonsboro HS. Herald Mail Media Read press release here.
William Jones wins 3,200 in 9:37.27.
Saturday, March 25, 2017 Cook Invitational Herald Mail Media Read press release here.
William Jones set new record in the boys 3,200 (9:32.58)
Tues., March 21, 2017 Boonsboro/Williamsport/Goretti @ Boonsboro Herald Mail Media Read press release here.
St. Maria Goretti set three school records — Matt Rohan in the 400 (51.72 for third place); the winning 4x800 team of Fred Farah, Matt Rohan, Tom Keenan and William Jones in 8:55.89; and the winning 4x200 team of Josh Mack, Ben Gilks, George Ofosu and Eric Brown in 1:46.65.
800 — William Jones 2:06.34
1,600 — William Jones 4:37.05
3,200 — Tom Keenan 10:55.30
4x200 — Goretti 1:46.65
4x400 — Goretti 3:52.46
4x800 — Goretti 8:55.89
800 — Cassie Lavin 2:45.68
1,600 — Cassie Lavin 5:56.25
- Cassie Lavin (Junior)…school records in 1600 (5:43.81) and 3200 (12:29.80)
- Jiar White (Junior) …school records in long jump (21 feet, 5 3/4 inches) and high jump (6 feet, 3 inches)
- William Jones won the 3200 meter run at the very prestigious Tim Cook Invitational at Chambersburg High School on April 16. Shakerra Brown won the shot put at the same meet.
- Cassie Lavin earned three titles at the Hagerstown City High School Track & Field Championships on April 20. She won the 1600 and 3200 meter runs and anchored the 4x800 meter relay team to victory with teammates Makayla Solomon, Lily Foland and Maddie Foland. Maddie Foland won the city title at 800 meters. Shakerra Brown won city titles in both the shot put and discus.
- The Goretti Girls edged North Hagerstown for 2nd place in the Hagerstown City High School Track & Field Championships….defeating the Hubs in the city title meet for the first time in the three year history of the gathering.