Through the week of November 14-23rd the St. Maria Goretti Student Government Association (SGA) held a food drive where students, families, and community members could bring in items throughout the day at two drop-off locations in the Gael Center and main school lobby. Students who brought five or more cans were able to participate in an out of uniform day on the 23rd. The sophomore class brought the most cans and will receive a party including Mr. Crabb’s famous brownies and ice cream.
In total, the school collected around 1,000 items which will be donated to the food bank at St. Mark Church in Hagerstown. They will also be given towards Micah’s Backpack, a program designed to feed hungry students through a partnership between each elementary school and one or more churches/organizations in its community. St. Maria Goretti sponsors 7 families from the Marshall Street School. SGA members will deliver the items to the food bank on the 23rd.
Below is a list of items SGA is always looking for to go towards Micah’s Backpack:
We are in need of individual serving sizes of the following:
- Vegetables (in small, single serving containers)
- Single serving, shelf-stable white milk
- Lunch items (Mac & Cheese, sm. container of peanut butter, or tuna and sleeve of crackers, individual soup w/ meat)
- Snacks (individual packs of nuts, trail mix, raisins, healthy snacks)
- Entrees (Spaghetti, Ravioli bowls with meat, tuna or chicken cans/pouches, rice w/ chicken and vegetables, etc.)
Please note that we ask for small, individual-sized foods so that the children can easily carry their bags home. If you aren’t able to donate food items and still wish to support the program, checks can be made out to St. Maria Goretti and the money will be used to purchase the items needed for the backpacks.
If you have any questions or would like further information, please ask any Student Council representative or the SGA Advisors, Mrs. Katrina or Mrs. Belella.